- News

Physically-Challenged, One Other, Jailed Total Of 22 Years

Two persons including a physically-challenged one who conspired to rob a bread seller at knife point, at Bantama in Kumasi, have been sentenced to a total of 22 years imprisonment by a Kumasi Circuit Court.

Kwaku Gyasi, the physically-challenged whose disability hampered him from running away from the crime scene, was arrested and later identified the other accomplice, Emmanuel Teiko. Whilst the third accomplice only named as Awudu, is on the run.

The two pleaded guilty to the charges of conspiracy to commit robbery and robbery and were convicted on their own pleas.

Kwaku Gyasi was jailed 10 years on both counts whiles Emmanuel Teiko also got 12 years on both counts. The sentences are to run concurrently.

Chief Inspector Timothy Amoako, Prosecuting, told the Court the three are all unemployed.

He said the complainant is Comfort Agambille, a resident of Santasi in Kumasi, and a bread seller.

He said the crime was committed on 20 January 2019 at about 0400 hours, when the complainant after alighting at Bantama in front of the Pentecost Church from a trotro she had boarded was attacked.

Prosecution said the complainant was on her way to a baker’s house to get her daily supply of bread for sale, when the miscreants pulled a knife on her, ordering her to surrender all she had.

Mr Amoako said the victim obliged and handed over to them the black polythene sachet containing her ITEL phone valued at GH¢100.00, a cash of GH¢1,600.00 and a GH¢5.00 loaf of bread.

He said they then bolted with the booty but complainant immediately raised an alarm which attracted the attention of some residents in the area, who pursued them.

The prosecution said the disabled who could not escape due to his physical impairment, sought refuge under a non-functioning school bus parked in front of a house in the vicinity.

He said he was however spotted by some neighbours, arrested and handed over to the Suntreso Police.

Mr Amoako said during Police interrogation, convict Gyasi mentioned the names of the other accomplices.

The prosecution said Teiko was arrested later at a hideout by some community members who found the stolen itel mobile phone in his possession. He was subsequently handed over to the police together with the phone.

The two convicts in course of investigations led the police to the crime scene where the black plastic sachet and its content was retrieved in a big gutter at North Suntreso, but without the GH¢1600.00 cash.

They were subsequently charged and arraigned.

Source: GNA

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *